Alex Thurman - Feed the Brood
It’s taken me the last 8 years to get the roux down, but I can make it now without scales or measures now. Sometimes I add onions and garlic to the base, but today, I just went simple as. If this were Masterchef they’d be shaking their heads and saying “It’ll have to be perfect”.
Each family has their own easy dish they make on repeat, and cheesy pasta with a load of lovely steamed vegetables is ours! What is yours?
15 minCook Time
- Pasta of your choice - 90g uncooked per adult, 50g uncooked per child
- 40g butter or spread
- 40g/4 tbsp plain flour
- 300-500ml milk depending on how thick you’d like the sauce
- 80g cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions
- Meanwhile gently melt better in a saucepan
- Once butter is fully melted, remove briefly from the heat and whisk flour into butter. Don’t worry if it’s a lumpy paste, that will be resolved once you add the milk.
- Before returning to the heat, add a small drizzle of milk to loosen the paste
- Return to a medium heat and gradually whisk in the milk - keep whisking and feel the sauce thicken on the bottom of the pan as it heats up
- Turn the heat right down as the sauce thickens and starts to bubble - add more milk of you’d like the sauce thinner
- Add the grated cheese and stir as it melts into the sauce
- Once pasta is drained, pop it back in the pan you cooked it in and add the cheesy sauce
- Serve immediately as it will thicken and become stodgy as it cools
- ENJOY 🙂