Serves Serves 10302
This veggie shepherd's pie is a root veg delight!
5 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
- 100g frozen onions or 1 large onion
- 50g frozen garlic or 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 large carrots
- 400g tinned green lentils
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 100g cheddar cheese
- Place the sweet potatoes on a plate in the microwave and microwave for 10 mins
- Preheat oven 200°c
- Peel and dice the carrots into 1cm squares - if they are really clean, save time by rinsing them instead of peeling.
- In a small lasagne dish, mix the onion, garlic, carrots, lentils (including water), chopped tomatoes and the leaves of thyme.
- Place in oven for 15 mins and check on sweet potatoes in the microwave - pick out the smaller ones that are soft to the touch and continue to microwave the batch until all potatoes are soft to the touch. Slice each in half to left the steam out whilst you wait as you'll have to handle them later. Grate the cheese.
- Once the 15 mins is up, remove the dish from the oven, empty the sweet potatoes out from their skins onto the top of the tomato lentil mix using a spoon and spread to the edges. Top with grated cheese and bake for a further 15 mins.
- Serve once the cheese is brown and bubbly on the top.
Vegan - swap out the cheese for a plant-based alternative
If you can get hold of purple sweet potatoes, these will boost the nutritional value of the dish!