I couldn’t believe it yesterday dinner time. It was the first time all the children were ok with gnocchi. And it just goes to show that repeated offerings help children to gain familiarity and increase their likelihood of eating something.
I made up the bake with chorizo and a cheesy sauce – two ingredients that all my children are mad for, and they all wolfed it down. I made two small bakes, one with spinach and one without so that I wasn’t pushing the kids too far, and if you’re veggie, you can omit the chorizo altogether and include some smoked paprika in your cheese sauce to give it the spicy vibes.
Alex Thurman - Feed the Brood
Serves Serves 4-6919
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
- 500g Gnocchi
- 500g Butternut Squash (you can buy pre-chopped, frozen from Waitrose Online and other supermarkets do sell it frozen too)
- 100g Frozen Onion
- 50g Frozen Garlic
- 200g Mild Chorizo
- Handful of Spinach
- For Cheese Sauce:
- 50g Butter
- 4 tbsp Plain Flour
- 500ml Milk
- 100g Grated Cheddar
- Preheat oven at 200°C
- Boil a full kettle & make up the cheese sauce by melting butter in a medium saucepan. Add the flour to make a roux, whisk in the milk gradually over the heat until thick and add most of the cheese - reserve some to sprinkle on top before baking.
- If butternut squash needs prep, peel, dice and boil in boiling water for 10 mins, adding your gnocchi in for the required amount of time at the end to save extra washing up.
- Meanwhile chop chorizo into semi circles of no more than 5mm thickness.
- Drain gnocchi and squash, combine in a big bowl with cheese sauce, chorizo and spinach.
- Tip into desired baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheddar.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins.
- Serve with extra veggies - I added some frozen peas and sweetcorn to the table along with some salad leaves and dressing.